Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Bird D'Pot

This was a productive week on my back road rambles.

Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are the state bird of Oklahoma. Love their long tails. I have been trying to get a decent shot, but this is the best I've been able to do so far. I actually saw one perched on a weed about 100 yards from our porch, but by the time I got my camera it was gone. I'm hopeful they are nesting nearby. 

Northern Bobwhites are common where I'm from in Illinois, but my bird app says they are uncommon here. However, the National Geographic Birds of North America indicate they are here year round. I saw 4 or 5 of these cross the road in front of me and hide in the  underbrush. Hopefully I will see them again and get a better shot.


Green Heron. I have been hoping for a green heron sighting and finally I saw one. As I drove by the heron pond, a large bird flew over the truck and landed on the other side of the pond. It was this guy. 


Pied-billed Grebe. On a ramble down a new road, I found an area with large ponds on both sides of the road. I saw a Great Egret on one side, but it flew before I could get a shot, I also saw what I believe were Northern Shovelers. They were too far away for anything but a blurry shot. So, I turned my attention to the pond on the other side. I didn't see anything at first, but then spied this Pied-billed Gebe watching me from behind some water plants. He would dive under the water and then come back up in another area. 

Upland SandpipersI first saw them on April 3rd. Yesterday I took this pic. They are still here, entertaining me out the kitchen window. I hope they stay a little longer. 



Help please: This little guy was swimming all alone in a pond. Of course he was way over on the far side, so no chance of a decent shot. Still, I think this might be a Black-bellied Whistling Duck. Anyone have a guess?


Linking to The Bird D-Pot

22 comments:

  1. Some great shots, lovely post and I love that flycatcher. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I was out this morning trying to take photos of robins, they are faster than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All birds are too fast for me. I just get lucky sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Great bird photos. I find they are really challenging to capture in a photo plus I don't have a huge zoom lens. I have been enjoying seeing some people's bird shots and want to try that myself.
    Have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. I don't have a big huge lens either. I have a bridge camera. It is a Canon SX50. I've had it for a couple of years and have used it instead of my big heavy camera with lots of lenses.

      Delete
  4. It does look like a Whistling Duck or a Shoveler. Hope someone else knows for sure. You sure have a nice variety of birds to share! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful series of photos of the different birds species, many do not occur in the Netherlands.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy seeing your birds which are different from what I see here. I think that's why I like the critter and bird blogs. They are wonderful to see.

      Delete
  6. What a great set of birds - I'd love to see that S/T Flycatcher - what a wonderful looking bird.

    Sorry its taken me so long to visit, things have been pretty hectic here!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, especially the scissor-tailed flycatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's a black bellied w. duck...they have orange/pink bills with a lavender tip at the end of the bill & a white ring around the eye (unless maybe a juvenile). Perhaps a Fulvous whistling duck?

    I'm sending my thanks to you for sharing your blog photos with us bird lovers this weekend. It's our privilege to visit you from I'd Rather B Birdin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only time I ever visited Oklahoma I saw both Northern Bobwhite and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher so this post brings back great memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betty!
    Today you showed us a very beautiful series of photos.
    I think there is the heaven of the birds!
    I wish you a pleasant and sunny Sunday!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Betty you got some wonderful pictures. Love them all. I'll tell you something else to watch for with the pie-billed grebes... they will carry their babies on their backs!! I didn't know that until I accidentally got a picture of it which I only saw when I downloaded the camera (it was at a distance). After that I watched for it and have seen it again. So cool. I love the bobwhite.... and all of your birds. Really good photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie. I'll be watching for those babies! And thank you for your kind words.

      Delete