Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

Centrahoma

Tuesday Treasures Post

I enjoy visiting small towns and hopefully finding a few treasures. Sunday we visited Centrahoma, OK. There wasn't much to see. It is a rural small town in Coal County Oklahoma. As of the 2010 census, the population was 97. 

The building below was once a restaurant which, according to a friend, served a good fish dinner. The building looks old, but appeared to have been kept in good condition. I wondered if someone was now living in the building. Note the mail box, yard sale sign, and a backless chair on the porch. 

It was a long stone building with siding on the front section.

It became even more interesting when I saw the name on the sign. The Whistlestop. Reminded me of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. A favorite of mine. Hopefully, this Whistlestop didn't barbeque bad guys. :)

The bathrooms were outside, more of a posh outhouse than a restroom normally associated with restaurants. 

I probably won't be visiting Centrahoma again, but it was an interesting stop. 

Linking to Tuesday Treasures

5 comments:

  1. population 97, wow, that's a tiny place!! i loved that movie "fried green tomatoes"...have watched it a dozen times!!

    and what a cute name for a restaurant, i image it as a friendly place where regulars meet and everybody knows everybody's name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably have to agree with you on that one. Though grateful for places like this that keep our history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, I love these sort of places and the history. Enjoy your week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the style of this building has a rural air to it. I've seen old gas stations that look like this. Thank Betty for stopping by and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love little places like this. I thought of the movie when I saw your photo, too! Great movie! We have many such places since mining and train depots closed across the country.

    ReplyDelete