Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday

Yesterday, I drove down one of my favorite back roads and saw a Pied-billed Grebe again. The sun was out and he was closer to the road, so got a much better shot this time. 
He posed for a while, but then took a dive and came up all wet and in the weeds. 

I've had my hummingbird feeders out for about a month, with no takers. Then this Ruby-throated Hummingbird showed up. He sits on the fence near the feeder for longer than I have ever seen a hummingbird sit still. I'm pretty sure he is guarding his treasure. I watched him a long time, but didn't see any others. And then yesterday I saw two. Sadly, this guy chased the other one off before I could get a pic.

He flew up and landed on one of the wagon wheels attached to the deck while I was reading. He was about 6 feet away. I was afraid to reach for my camera, so I watched him as he watched me. He finally flew away and then came back to hover about 3 feet from me. I guess he was checking out the food lady. I think he was thanking me for supplying homemade nectar instead of that store bought red stuff. 

He doesn't like Gus, our dog, to get close though. He was happy to show his displeasure by displaying his red feathers.

Another Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Every time I see one, I can't resist stopping to try for a better picture. They are beautiful birds. 

The Great Egrets are plentiful these days. I see them almost every time I go out for a back road ramble. 


At this pond there were two.

Yesterday it was near 80 degrees. Today 40s and rain. Guess I will be staying inside most of today. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. ...these are wonderful, I would not see all of these around here, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scissor-tails are absolutely one of my favorites! We loved seeing them when we lived in Texas. Beautiful grebe. And how wonderful that your hummingbirds are back...at least one. We've had two come over this last month, one preferring the heated feeder, and one visiting the other feeder. But I haven't been able to get photos yet because spending any time on the deck has been difficult with this cold, and from inside I have backlighting. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely birds today Betty. The Pied-billed Grebe is an impressive bird and a little bit like our Little Grebe but your has a sturdier bill. I must say, I'd love to see a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Sounds like your hummingbirds are beginning to migrate through your area and show off a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely selection, love the Grebe with a reflection, lovely shot. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Hummingbird photos!
    I am in awe of the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, cheeky little hummer isn't he? But I have heard that they are indeed pretty territorial... you still got a really nice photo of him.... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of a fine series of birds. The detail,on the Pied-billed Grebe is very pleasing. Hummingbirds have already returned here, but the weather is still a little cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific captures! The Grebe and Egret we do not see here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of the Pied-billed Grebe. I've only ever seen one here in the UK. I like the Egret and hummingbirds too.

    ReplyDelete