Pages

Monday, April 13, 2020

Randomosity

The Good: When I lived near my daughter, we used to have cooking contests. Gumbo was the subject of one. The gumbo recipe I used required the rice to be added to the pot, which I did. The designated time for daughter to show up with her version came and went. Her late arrival caused my rice to swell up and turn into a thick mess, while hers was perfectly fine. I say, not fair! 

I haven't made gumbo since until this past weekend. This recipe called for the gumbo to be spooned over the rice on the plate. I like this version much better. Since we are social distancing, I made do with what I had in the pantry and freezer. Instead of andouille sausage, I only had boudin. It is spicier and I think tasted much better. I also had a chicken breast that needed to be used, so added it in with the sausage and shrimp. It was very tasty! Hubby even ate leftovers, which he doesn't normally enjoy. 

The Random: In order to get out of the house and still stay away from people, we often go for drives in the country on nice days. Yesterday was a warm and sunny day. However, as we drove out of the drive, I noticed clouds gathering. We decided to go anyway. But, by the time we came back, it was pouring down rain. This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, except we have horses in front of our house and 2 gates to get through between the road and home. Guess who wasn't driving and thus required to open gates? Yep, me. 

The Fun: There is nothing better than watching the horses being playful, unless it is colts running around the pasture. Sadly, we don't have colts, but enjoy the horses' antics. Yesterday morning they were having a little fun out by the pond.



Linking to Random-osity

4 comments:

  1. I bet the chicken was very tasty. I tend to use dark meat because I'm not the best cook and white meat dries out on me. I've never made gumbo but have you ever made me hungry for some right now and it's just about lunch time! I think spooning the rice over it sounds like a better way.
    I guess that's what happens when you're not driving, lol. Fantastic shots of the horses. We went from 70˚ to rain and lots of snow in parts of the state. What we had pelted and melted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...a bowl of gumbo sounds mighty good at this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Beautiful photos of horses. Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete