Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Week in Review

8/20/17 - Sunday
Daughter and one grandson came for a visit. They were on their way to Golconda, IL for the eclipse. Put grandson to work picking peaches from the tree in the backyard.

I had no idea my tree was actually producing peaches until last month when I happened to look up and see all of them. Sadly, I have no idea how to care for them. Guess I better read up on the care of peach trees so I don't lose so many next year. 

8/21/17 - Monday
We stayed home for the eclipse. We didn't want to get in the crazy traffic driving to Southern Illinois. Sadly, we had a thunderstorm which blocked our view. It took daughter 11 hours to drive the normal 4 hours back home after the eclipse was over. Traffic was start/stop all the way.

8/22/17 - Tuesday
DC took our new-to-us truck to have a towing ball put on. While he was gone, I pealed and pitted peaches and put them in the freezer. They will taste pretty good come winter.

8/23/17 - Wednesday
Gus was never properly socialized due to DC having a heart issue not long after we brought Gus home. So now he barks a mean bark when people walk by and even when we are in the truck, he barks at everyone. We have not been successful in breaking his bad habits, so broke down and decided to try a training collar. It has a shocking and vibrate mode. We are using the vibrate mode. It has worked wonders. He isn't totally cured, but he is much improved. He listens when we say 'no' now. I felt like I was being cruel, but the vibrate mode doesn't hurt him. 

8/24/17 - Thursday
Too beautiful outside to stay home, so we took Gus for a walk at Lincoln Log Cabin Historical Site. We got to see the newborn calf. 
 And stopped to visit the pigs.

In the afternoon, we went out to the county fair to watch harness racing. This was the first time I actually sat down and watched the races. No betting allowed, but people pick the winner and put their name in a box before each race. If your horse won and your name was drawn, you won $5.00. I won $5.00. Lucky me!


The evening entertainment was hard track drag racing. So, we decided to go back for the evening. They raced everything from bicycles to a rail. Little kids to those still kids at heart. Fun evening.


8/25/17 - Friday
Another walk at Lincoln Log Cabin. The sheep were out in force. Tanya Tucker was the entertainment at the fair, but we decided to skip the crowds.

8/26/17 - Saturday
Back to the fair today for horse racing. Sadly, there were only 2 horses in each race. The fair isn't what it once was. Every year I worry it will be the last. It is limping along.

Before the races started, one of the local crop dusting services gave us a show.


Even though there were only two horses, the races were still exciting.

There was a mule race, with only one mule. The other mule didn't show, I guess. A horse was a last minute substitution. The mule won.

I especially liked the pony races. Yes, there were only two. Below is the first pass in front of the grandstand.

This is the winner.

Before the last race, The Cumberland County Derby, the Derby Hats were judged. The last hat on the right won.

Two horses in the Derby. As usual, my pick lost. 

Note the difference in the riders. The winning horse had an actual jockey. The losing horse had a volunteer rider. There seems to be a little difference in size, don't you think?

That's it for week! 

3 comments:

  1. ...those peaces look might tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You photos illustrate the wonderful week you had, full of fun. And then those peaches, they look nice and juicy.

    This is my first visit to your blog and I really like the week ib review format you do. Very nice!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment.
    http://somewhereinirelanddailyphoto.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son doesn't live close to me, so I like posting what is going on for him to see, plus it is an easy way to journal. Glad you stopped by for a visit.

      Delete