Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Week in Review

1/20/18 Saturday

So, today I planned to go to a program about Eagles. After the talk and a movie, we would be taken to the area where eagles are nesting.  However, I missed out since DC had the flu and I didn't want to leave him. Good thing as the flu grabbed me later in the day. 

1/21/18 Sunday

Spent the day sleeping in an attempt to get rid of the bug. We had a brief but torrential rain storm. Once it ended, I got out to buy dog food and sprite. On the way I saw a red-shouldered hawk, but he flew away before I could turn my camera on, and a partial rainbow. 



I stopped to admire a couple of horses.


The rain ended and the clouds were moving out to provide a beautiful, layered sunset.



1/22/18 Monday

It was gloomy and windy. The perfect day to hit the grocery store.


On the way I saw turkeys. 



And they saw me. Off they went into the underbrush.


A Harris's Sparrow and a White-crowned Sparrow. Both were a little too far away to get good pics, but I took them anyway.









There is a small pond I drive by often. Most of the time there is a blue heron hanging out there, but he always takes off when he hears the truck coming.  Today I got an in-flight shot off before he disappeared around a hill.



Later in the day, while talking to my son on the phone, I happened to look out the window and see 6 or 7 deer running across the pasture. I said a hasty goodbye, threw down the phone, and grabbed my camera. By the time I got outside they were almost gone. I only got one shot of the buck bringing up the rear. They were running like they were being chased. Whatever it was had disappeared before I saw them. On a side note, Gus had a good bark. 



1/23/18 Tuesday

While enjoying the beautiful weather out on the porch, I saw a blue heron flying by. I got a quick shot. The evening sunshine turned him to gold.




1/24/18 Wednesday

A drive down a back road revealed a wire full of mourning doves.



This pond had lots of geese enjoying the sunshine. 



I saw several hawks, but most flew before I could snap a picture. This one is a red-shouldered hawk. He didn't pay any attention to me. He had his eye on prey.



As usual, there was a wide assortment of cows and horses, but only took this pic. Brown isn't exactly rare, but there sure are more Black Angus than any other breed.

On the way home I stopped to take a picture of this old barn-like structure. Possibly a milking barn. Not sure.



1/25/18 Thursday

Cold morning. Mr. Meadowlark was all fluffed up. I decided it was a good day to clean.



It was also very windy. These Carolina Sparrows were having trouble staying upright. Not a good hair day for them.



1/26/18 Friday

Had a little visit with Dylan, Sleepy, Little Bill, and Bo today.



Sleepy looks even shorter at this angle then he actually is. He's kind of a favorite of mine.



He's looking for a carrot. All he got was a nose rub. I forgot to bring snacks.


I think Little Bill was looking for a trade. Again, I forgot snacks.


Linking to Saturday Critters

Linking to The Bird D-Pot

Linking to The Barn Collective

13 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post. Sorry the flu found your family, hope you are all feeling much better. Those horses look hungry. Great photos, I think my favorite is the buck running off. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Betty, what an array of wildlife this week. The barn built of glazed tiles with the rusty roof is great. Thanks so much for sharing, I hope to see you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...such a perfect week with wildlife (and domestic)...love the horses' noses. Made me giggle.

    Thanks for stopping to share with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow a whole week of interesting tidbits. Thank you
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderful week of photos!
    There sure is a lot of Mistletoe in the tree by the barn. Love those sweet horses, and that is a great photo of the Meadowlark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Great collection of shots from your week. The last few are making me chuckle! Visiting from the barn collective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a nice way to document your daily activities and day to day joys. your bird captures are really beautiful, crisp and clear!!

    the horses are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the horses! Your meadowlark is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, so about the flu, I hope you are feeling better. The rainbow is a lovely sight to see. I enjoyed all the wonderful birds, deer, cows and the cute horses. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had an interesting week and got some wonderful photos! I had the flu over the holidays, in fact I had to spend all day Christmas in bed and didn't get to see anyone for fear of spreading my germs. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I'm reading the dates right, you started off last week under the weather but were much better by the end of it (based on the beautiful pictures and where you had to go to get them). I'm glad you shook it off without too many down days! Wonderful critters -- wild and domesticated (you better remember snacks for the latter next time -- they'll be cross with you if you don't bring a carrot ;>)!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really appreciate the shots of Harris’ Sparrow, a species I have only seen a couple of times. Looks like the flu didn’t ding you too badly, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete