Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Week in Review

Saturday 12/20/17

Friends invited us to go to The Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. The weather was supposed to turn cold, but it was 40 degrees when we left home. The museum was about 1 1/2 hours away. Not long into the drive, it started misting rain as the temperature quickly dropped to 20 degrees. The mist started freezing on the windshield. 



The roads were still okay, but when we got into OK City, the bridges were starting to ice. We did see one car lose control on one of the bridges. Merely a fender bender, but I don't think the driver was very happy. 

Love this statute. It's the first thing you see when you walk in the building. You might recognize a more summer-like version of this as my header. If you are ever in the Oklahoma City area, try to stop in.



Sunday 12/31/17

Nothing exciting this day. It was too darn cold to get out. I did try a new recipe - Taco Soup. Easy. It's a crock pot recipe. Tasty, too!


Monday 1/1/18

No pictures for two days in a row. It's too cold to get out. This morning our water was frozen, so we spent the morning thawing out the well and hot water pipes under the RV. Low was 9°. 

Friends invited us for dinner, so we ventured out. Gotta have those black-eyed peas for a prosperous new year. 

Tuesday 1/2/18

Still cold, so stayed in most of the day. Did venture out to take a pic of the Super Moon.

Wednesday 1/3/18

Sunshine and perfect walking temp. It got up to 48° so gave Gus a treat and took him for a walk down to the pond. It turned out to be more of a run. He was happy to be outside for a change.






The pond was still frozen.



Finally tired him out. He found a shady spot to rest.



Thursday 1/4/18

Drove into Ada today. Took the long way home to look for critters. Today was Mockingbird Day, although I did see several Savannah Sparrows and a Red-tailed Hawk having a snack on top of an old electric pole. This guy was trying to hide in a tree beside the road.  He didn't appear to like me much.



DC took me out to dinner. On the way we saw several deer standing alongside the road. These two posed for me.



1/5/18 Friday

Took an early drive this morning. The sun cast a bright yellow over the countryside. To my left I saw a tree full of what I thought was Meadowlarks, since there are so many around here. I snapped a pic.


After reviewing the shot, I rethought my identification. I zoomed closer and snapped another pic. They were far off the road, so it isn't very clear, but clear enough to identify the Cedar Waxwings with the sun making their usually soft yellow appear much darker.


A little farther down the road, I saw a flock of geese looking for a drink on a frozen pond.


Linking to The Bird D-Pot


7 comments:

  1. I do love that statue, and am glad it's on your header! Wish I could see it in person. What a cute dog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a pretty good start to the New Year all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love the Cedar Waxwings! Glad you zoomed in to see them. Enjoyed reading about your week and adding that museum to things we'll need to check out next time we venture to Oklahoma (though in warmer weather, ice is scary stuff). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have sure had the cold weather here, too...supposed to have a heat wave this week. It was -11 the other night, and supposed to be in the 50's Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures - I always think that Mocking birds look cross!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I love the sculpture, just beautiful. Lovely capture of the full moon. Gus is a cutie, I am sure he enjoyed a run. The Cedar Waxwings are beautiful birds, great sighting. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice cure for cabin fever! That warm early morning light can turn everything to gold. Loved the deer, but please send some Savannah Sparrows down here to Florida-- they are overdue.

    ReplyDelete