Pages

Friday, July 10, 2020

Weekend Roundup - B

Today's Assignment:  Starts with B, Favorite, and black.

Starts with B: This is a BISON, one of many I took pictures of during our visit to Yellowstone last month. Some confuse BUFFALO with BISON, but they are not the same. Typically, we call them BUFFALO in error. BUFFALOES are found in Africa and South Asia, while BISON roam in North and South America. BUFFALO AND BISON are related. They are both from the BOVINE species. I have always called them BUFFALO and will probably continue to do so.

This is a BLACK BEAR, also from our visit to Yellowstone. We saw tons of signs warning to watch for BEARS on the road. We were disappointed not to see one during our first couple of days there. But then our luck changed. I think I was almost as excited to be able to get this pic as I was my first eagle. It was rambling alone on the far side of a creek. This pic was taken out the truck window. Even though it was quite a distance away, I am not a brave soul. We saw another one the next day. She had 2 cubs with her. She was leading them through the trees, which kept me from getting a clear pic, so I put my camera down and watched them.

This BEAR was one of the Sculpture Trail we enjoyed during our visit to Sioux Falls, SD.

Favorite: Well, you know I must try to find a way to put a horse in this spot. This is BEAUTIFUL BONNIE. Not only is she a BEAUTIFUL lady, but she is gentle and doesn't mind toting a saddle and rider on her back.  

Black: We have had a lot of vultures around our house for the past few days. Pictured are American BLACK Vultures, although there were plenty of Turkey Buzzards mixed in. At one time I counted 13 flying and 7 in the trees. I think there must have been a dead cow in the pasture behind us. They give me the creeps, so Hubs went out with the rifle and shot at the tree trunks to scare them away. So far, so good. I hope they stay away. My feeder friends don't like having them around either.

Just Because: During our vacation, we stopped in Cody, WY to visit the BUFFALO BILL Museum.  Yellowstone and the whole area was under a winter storm watch. As you can see, it was snowing. We are used to June being blazing hot and only brought light jackets. We'll know better next time. 

This is a portrait of BUFFALO BILL Cody.

And Finally: On our way to Yellowstone, we stopped in Dodge City, KS to visit the BOOT Hill Museum. 

This is one of the graves on BOOT Hill.



Linking to The Weekend Roundup

7 comments:

  1. ...BETTY, you sure did a BANG up job with B. Here in Western New York with BUFFALO just down the road we are confused with BUFFALO and BISON! I've only seen BLACK BEARS a couple of times. That BEAR sculpture is neat. BEAUTIFUL BONNIE sure is a BEAUTY. BUFFALO BILL Cody's foster son is buried in Rochester, New York's Mount Hope Cemetery. Poor Lizzie in BOOT Hill. Thanks for the visit, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie is beautiful, her chestnut color so lovely! The Bison (not buffalo which is in WY and NY) is an amazing animal - best viewed from a distance as I'm sure they are ornery! Love the bears too - the real and the sculpted...Buffalo Bill looks like a seriously cool entertainer! I'm not cool with those unattractive buzzards, even if they have their place in nature :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty (starts with "B"), you found a lot of "B" words to show here. I liked the all and you are making me want to visit Yellowstone Park again. I've been three times. I like the Vultures best, they are the most despised hawk family birds of all. But they generally don't kill like the others, here they are killing baby rabbits and kittens, but not the vultures, they eat the dead stuff.
    Did you come down or go up through Nebraska? I grew up in Eastern Nebraska, north of Omaha. My mom was born in Presho, S.D, before the Wall Drug store on the way back. You probably also saw the Bad Lands, they start with "B".
    Again, this was a very enjoyable post for me.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim. We went up through Kansas and then into a bit of Nebraska. We had both been to Dodge City when we were kids. Then it was dusty roads and a stagecoach ride. Now it is a tourist trap. I understand they normally put on a gunfight, but due to Covid it hadn't started back up when we were there. We love Wyoming and would be living there if the winters were not so cold. I've been to The Badlands a couple of times, but didn't stop this trip. Maybe next year. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. I bet the Buffalo Bill Museum would be interesting to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your horses, Betty! Bonnie is beautiful! It's been around ten years since we were at Yellowstone, I'd love to go back. We also spotted many buffalo and bears. Here in New Hampshire, we see black bears often. Great photos! Have a nice week.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hetty Bonnie is a real BEAUTY and you sure give us a lot of "B's" in this post. Stay safe and have a wonderful week ahead

    ReplyDelete