Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving Preparations

I'm combining a random post along with Thursday Doors since I won't be on the computer tomorrow. This is my door for this week. It is the side of an old building in Allen, Oklahoma.



Linking to Thursday Doors

Now on to my random post. When asked which food he looks forward to on Thanksgiving, my youngest grandson replied, "Noodles." I agree with him. My mother-in-law made the best noodles. Unfortunately, none of my grandkids ever experienced my mother's and mother-in-law's expertise in the kitchen. My noodles are pretty good, but my mother-in-law's were the best.  

I also love the cobblers my mom used to make. Her cobbler was not like we think of cobblers today. Her cobbler was basically a pie made in a 9 X 13 pan. Both a top and bottom crust. Her crust was the best I've ever tasted. She tried to teach me to make it on more than one occasion, but she didn't measure anything. She kept a large bowl of flour in the cabinet and only uncovered and brought it out when she made pies. She would make a well in the center of the flour, add lard (in later years, Crisco), salt, and water, and then proceed to knead the dough 'until it feels right'. Sadly, I wasn't ever able to figure out when it felt right. No food will ever taste as good as my mom's or my mother-in-law's. Still, every year, I give it the old college try.

Today I made noodles. Daughter is hosting, so she will have the chicken and broth ready. I'll finish them up when I get there.

I also baked a peach cobbler, made from the peaches from the tree in my back yard. And a pie to keep at home for later. In the oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.


I forgot to put a tray underneath to catch spills, but it was all good. Only a small puddle and it didn't smoke up the kitchen. Thank goodness! If it had DC would have brought it to my attention. He loves to tease. Below is the finished product.



Not all that pretty, but maybe tasty. Hope your holiday cooking is perfection. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments: