Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

A Bird or Two

I wasn't as lucky with birds on this trip to Oklahoma as I found in the spring.

Below is a Mockingbird. I'm pretty sure he is the same one from earlier this year. He doesn't mind posing.


I apologize for the graphic content of the following pictures. Turn away if you are easily sickened by blood. I would love some help on identifying this hawk, though. I scoured the bird books, but couldn't decide. 

Someone crushed this raccoon on the road. We were coming back from Ada and had to swerve around him. It seems Mr. Hawk would rather get hit by a truck than give up his prize to the buzzard circling above. DC stopped so I could jump out and get some pics. He looked up and then put his wings out as if blocking Mr. Buzzard's view.


Another car was approaching, but still he didn't fly away. 


Hopefully someone can tell me what kind of hawk this is.

Linking to The Bird D-Pot 

10 comments:

  1. That is a Red-Tailed Hawk who looks very hungry as it's crop doesn't look very full from the image shares. I hope that it remained safe. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure...if only I coukd see the tail markings better. It's a guess...either a juvenile broad winged (the tail looks light) OR a juvenile Cooper's hawk.

    Thanks for linking with us birders st I'd rather b birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...he must have been pretty hungry not to mind the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures on your blog.
    I do not know the hawk how it is called, in the Netherlands I would think of a buzzard, but the beak is different.
    Thank you for your comment on my blog.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll pass on the ID as I'm not too familiar with North American hawks. But if mary says it's a Red-tailed that's good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pic of the mockingbird and hawk. The hawk must have been very hungry.

    ReplyDelete