Pages

Friday, February 16, 2018

Duck Critters

More birds have found my feeders. Besides the White-crowned and Savannah Sparrows and Meadowlarks, I saw an Eastern Bluebird grabbing a snack yesterday. Hopefully more will follow.

But today is dedicated to ducks.






I apologize for the quality of the ducks below. They were swimming in a pond about a quarter mile south of the highway. I saw ducks and took a couple of quick shots thinking they were mallards. I didn't realize what I had until I uploaded the pics. Now I wish I had pulled off the road and tried to get some good pics. They are Gadwall ducks. 



Thanks David on the Gadwall ID!
Linking to Saturday Critters

15 comments:

  1. I think that your Canvasbacks are Gadwalls, and may I point out with great respect that a coot is not a duck, it is a member of the rail family, Rallide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually know this. They don't have webbed feet. But since they are always swimming in the water, I seem to lump them together in my head. :)

      Delete
    2. David, I went back to the pond where I saw the 'Gadwalls' (thanks by the way) and got better pics. I'll post them tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Love the pretty Mallard shot. The Pintails are gorgeous ducks. Great capture of the Coot. I agree with David, I believe the last ducks are the Gadwall. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Thanks so much for your comment and visit. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of the Ducks and the Coot!
    Just recently I made some quick photos of Coots, and it wasn't until later I realized there were ducks mixed in. Maybe Canvasbacks and Ring-necked Ducks, but my photos are not clear enough to be sure. Should have took more time to focus carefully. Hopefully we have both learned to slow down, take a little more time
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos of the lovely ducks ~

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are the BEST. Love the mallard, especially.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David is right. Good photos Betty. I wonder where you saw the Pintail? They are both banded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, they were along a pond that is next to the zoo. I went back to the pond where I saw the Gadwall and got a couple of better shots. I'll post them tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pics Betty. Your Mallard shot is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Northern Pintail pair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great ducks all of them. But my vaforite is the pintail. It is so elegant :)

    ReplyDelete