Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2019

The Bird D-pot

We had some really great weather last week, so I took advantage and went for multiple back-road-rambles. 

This cardinal thought he was hiding in the branches of this prickly tree, but I got him anyway. 

After running errands the next day, I took the long way home and was rewarded with this red-shouldered hawk. He posed for a long time.



But the cherry on top of the cake was this Eagle. It isn't a great picture, but it is a picture. I first saw the female or juvenile in a tree beside the road, but it flew and landed in this tree farther from the road. It was then I saw the eagle. I slammed on the brakes and grabbed my camera. (I may need new tires soon) I was as excited as if I had won the lottery, well, maybe not that excited, but pretty darn excited. Bucket List: Capture an Eagle on camera. Check! 
Does anyone know if the other bird is a female or a juvenile?

Linking to The Bird D-Pot

9 comments:

  1. ...keep those back-road-rambles up, you captured some beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a juvenile Bald Eagle because of the white spots on its back and wings. Adult Eagles are a solid dark brownish color on the back. From what I have read about Bald Eagles, it takes 3 to 5 years for a juvenile to get the solid white head and tail feathers of an adult. Male and female Bald Eagles look very much alike with white heads and tails and uniform dark feathers on body and wings.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgoodness! Omgoodness! Those eagles would make my heart stop! Beautiful captures of all your sightings.

    And, my thanks goes out to you for sharing this all with us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow susch great photos. I love all the birds of prey. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, juvenile! I could see them every day and still get that excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are all beautiful birds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any sighting of a Bald Eagle is a memorable event - even worth a brake job!

    ReplyDelete