Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

Lost and Found

When we first brought Gus home, we had a border collie named Findley. 
Sadly, Findley suffered from seizures and crossed the Rainbow Bridge when he was only 1 1/2 years old. After Findley, Gus wasn't around other dogs until last year. We were staying in our RV which was parked in a friend's back yard. Gus wasn't friendly to their dogs. They were all much bigger. He barked his mean bark and growled whenever they came close to him. I think he was afraid. We didn't think he could ever be around other dogs without fighting.

I let Gus out at about 5:00 a.m. this morning. He took off running out in the yard to take care of business. I stood on the porch, enjoying the morning. All of a sudden, a pup hopped off my rocking chair. It was a beagle. A breed of dog I've always admired.
I was afraid I would be stuck in the middle of a dog fight, so I yelled for Hubs to come help. Much to my surprise, when Gus saw the pup, he started wagging his tail and they began the usual dog sniffing dance. They quickly became friends.
Mr. Beagle looked healthy and had a collar, so I knew he was more runaway than throw away, so I posted his picture on Facebook. I received a phone call telling me of a neighbor with Beagle pups. So, I called the neighbor and left a message on voice mail.
I wasn't sure I had the correct phone number, so wrote a note and drove down to leave it on their door. When I got there, a man answered the door. Mr. Beagle belonged to his son. They were not aware he was missing. Meet Buford T. Pusser.
I drove back home, put Buford in the truck, and returned him to his owners. I secretly hoped we wouldn't find his family so I could keep him. He is a sweet pup! Gus keeps whining and looking for him. I'm thinking Gus needs a friend.


5 comments:

  1. I am not sure I could have let him go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Buford is a sweet puppy dog. I love all the dogs! Gus may want to pick out his own friends. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely set of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete