Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Saturday Critters

The blue heron pond, so named for the blue heron often seen there, was alive with activity yesterday albeit at different times during the day. During my morning drive, instead of a blue heron, this great egret decided to stop by and temp me. Sadly, he was at the farthest point, so had to zoom in for a sad shot. He flew away soon after. 


On my return trip, the egret was gone and the blue heron was nowhere in sight, but this fine turtle was about to slide back into the water. Which he did shortly after I got this pic of his back side.

On the return trip, no egret, no blue heron, and no turtle could be seen, so I drove on. I had hubs in the passenger seat and he yelled, "Stop! Back up!" I did. He pointed to the log the turtle vacated earlier. Curled up in the sun was this lovely snake. I took several shots hoping he would turn his head a different way so I could see the shape of his head, but he never did and I wasn't about to wade out there to poke him with a stick. So, I think he is merely a water snake and not a cottonmouth. Still, I was happy this pic was taken from the safety of the truck.

Linking to Saturday Critters

14 comments:

  1. I guess where you live you have to know your snakes? Not so much here as we have only one - the Adder. And that is not very common and especially so where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea. In addition to cottonmouth water moccasins, we have copperheads, and rattlesnakes. All are poisonous. I dislike snakes!

      Delete
  2. Hello, great sighting of the turtle and snake. The egret is beautiful. It must be warmer there, for the turtles and snakes to be out. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I also appreciate your comment and visit. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We see herons and egrets here, but no turtles and (thankfully) no snakes as big as this one. Nice photos, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my birdie and squirrel fotos! Your fotography is great...what clear pics you got. I'm really glad you didn't venture out and poke the snake! LOL HOPE you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!:) I often need another pair of eyes to spot wild creatures. Americo sees better than I, and when we are out and about he is usually the first to see something of interest. The snake was a great find....what a beauty! I like your turtle, and Egret shots too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to spot an Egret even if it is not close by. Love the turtle!
    I leave snakes alone - they all look like poisonous ones to me! Good photo!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of critters ~ favorite is the turtle basking in the sun!

    Namaste,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind comment on my page and I must say your photos are wonderful, although I cannot fully appreciate the last one of the cottonmouth just simply because of my great fear of them, but the heron and the turtle are fabulous!!!! I Love the pond ecosystems.. such variety of nature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if the turtle left because of the snake! The sun must feel so good to them after winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three great shots but I do love the snake. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you suppose the snake chased the turtle away? Serendipity to find such variety in one spot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, you are lucky to see it sunning there! Just like you i wont come down and poke it, ohhh scary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely photos. Even the snake. Our snakes has come out too now. I saw two today.

    ReplyDelete