Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Oaklawn Park

April 14, 2018 was the running of the Arkansas Derby. The $1,000,000 purse went to Magnum Moon, winning by 5 lengths. As he neared the finish line, the track announcer, Vic Stauffer, ended his call with, "Get ready Kentucky Derby, there's a bad moon on the rise." 

We were not able to make the Derby, but we have been to Oaklawn the past two years. I am a huge fan of the races and have been as long as I can remember, listening to the Kentucky Derby on the radio before we had a TV. I think this year I will be rooting for Magnum Moon. 

Of course no visit to the racetrack would be complete without a visit to the betting window. I'm a big gambler, usually placing dollar bets. I never lose more than $10 and rarely win even that much. 

I enjoy the art work around the park.



This statute outside the entrance to Oaklawn will now be painted in the colors of Magnum Moon.

The excitement grows when the bugler announces post time.


Still, nothing beats the excitement of watching your pick win, even if it is only a dollar or two.


Linking to Our World Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. ...I've never heard of the Arkansas Derby! I love to win, but I hate to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the horses ... they are such a beautiful and intelligent animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A bad moon on the rise"! I love it. I also love horse races, but have seldom seen a thoroughbred race. I once worked for a harness-racing track, recording the positions and strides of the horses throughout the races. I made it a rule, however, not to bet more than $2 because I was there so often I could have lost a lot of money.
    When I was younger, my parents and I made a point of listening to the radio broadcast of the Kentucky Derby and betting $5 each, just the three of us. My triumph was the year I picked the winners: first, second and third. After that, I quit betting, lest I become addicted.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete