Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Bad Pics of Good Subject

It's been a good week for critters. Some may believe, some may not, but I'm certain I saw a mountain lion across the hay field. Gus and I were looking out the window when I saw movement. At first I thought it was a dog, but then I saw the long tail and realized this critter moved much more graceful than any pup I've met. There are a line of cedar trees, so by the time I grabbed my camera and switched it on, he was behind the trees. Sadly, no proof. Not even a bad pic of a good subject.

Later on a back road drive I thought I saw another dog. This time it was running across the road in front of me. I realized too late it was a coyote. Bad shot of a good subject.




I followed this red-tailed hawk for about a mile. He finally landed in a tree quite a distance off the road, with his back to me. Another bad shot of a good subject.


The temps are hovering around 27° with misting rain. Yep, freezing on the highway. DC isn't feeling well, so I ventured out to get some cold meds. To prevent slipping and sliding, I took the back roads. Hard to slide on dirt and gravel. On the way I saw a flock of dark-eyed juncos. None of them were cooperating with my camera. This is the best I could do. They were feeding in the weeds alongside the road. Yep, another bad pic of a good subject.



Guess I should end with a good shot of something. So I will share a pic of this Killdeer wading in the edge of what I have named 'the blue heron pond'. 



Linking to Saturday Critters

7 comments:

  1. Hello, Neat sighting of the coyote. I never see them around here, I guess that may be a good thing. I love all the birds, nice Hawk sighting and the Killdeer is so cute. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear coyotes at night, but have not seen any in a long time.
    Also we have Bobcats here in Mississippi, and that is enough big cats for me. No Mountain Lions, please and thank you!
    I love to see Hawks! Even a back view is interesting.
    Beautiful Killdeer!
    It is pouring rain today. I am staying indoors with a cup of hot tea and watching the Goldfinches flocking to my feeders
    Hope you are having a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful photo of the killdeer, such a striking bird. We don't have those where I live, but we do have mountain lions and coyotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're out there getting shots - that's the important thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that Red-tails are really hard to photograph. I think they have been persecuted for so long that they are wary of humans who in times past generally toted a gun and killed them randomly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the time, at least very often, the good subjects tend not to cooperate...
    Not too bad after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!:) The critters might have been uncooperative, but you got some great sightings, at least you saw them, and you had the thrill of the chase.:) We don't get Coyotes where I live, and I have never seen a Red-tailed Hawk. Neat shot of the striking Killdeer though.

    ReplyDelete